Fall is here and we are surrounded by evidence in the form of bright orange leaves, crisp autumn air, and the smell of pumpkin pie!
For the fall-loving folks among us– those donning cable-knit sweaters and sipping hot apple cider from the first hint of an autumn breeze- there is no place better to celebrate the season than Deep Creek Lake. Nationally renown for our fall foliage, western Maryland is a picturesque landscape of orange, yellow, red, and brown; a celebration of nature at every bend. Whether you are joining us for the annual Autumn Glory festivities, escaping the city on a romantic retreat for two, or simply looking to explore the mountain-lake area at its finest, Deep Creek Lake is sure to wow you.
Every morning in Deep Creek Lake should start with a cup of coffee enjoyed out on the dock—and fall is no exception. While the morning is still unfolding, grab a kayak and hit the water for a leisurely paddle along still waters. Lunch calls for something warm and toasty from Ace’s Run Restaurant and Pub- the splendid stone interior and expansive lake views create an aura of absolute tranquility, an atmosphere perfect for fall. Then, the afternoon is yours! You can spice up your evening with a thrilling sky-high adventure at Monkey Business Aerial Adventure Park, keep the evening low-key with shopping, antiquing, and museum-hopping in charming Downtown Oakland, or keep the fall-fun going at the Cove Run Corn Maze. However you choose to spend your day in Deep Creek, it is sure to be a perfect one. Here are our top suggestions for enjoying those crazy colors:
- State Parks: The Deep Creek Lake region is full of State Parks to explore and enjoy, including Deep Creek Lake State Park, Herrington Manor State Park, Casselman River Bridge State Park, and more!
- Scenic Chair-Lift at Wisp: Did you now that the chair lifts at Wisp Resort are open year-round? Fly high! Soar over the treetops for a jaw-dropping vantage over the fall foliage!
- Boating: Autumn is one of the best times to explore the lake by boat! Quiet and serene, you’ll feel in a world all your own as you explore the lake’s many coves and inlets lit up in orange. Whether you are cruising along in a pontoon or speedboat, or taking it slow with a canoe or kayak rental, there is no wrong way to hit the water!
- Horseback Riding: Circle R Ranch and Western Trails both offer lake visitors the opportunity to spend an idyllic afternoon exploring the countryside on horseback. Perfect for adults and children, this adventure is a wonderful break from the hustle and bustle of the day.
- Scenic Drives: As a part of the Autumn Glory celebration, the local Chamber of Commerce releases directions for several different scenic drives around the lake area. These drives are specifically designed to showcase the colors of the season and come in long and short varieties.
- Mountain Biking: Traverse the mountains and winding pathways up-close and personal with a mountain bike tour! Wisp Resort and High Mountain Sports both offer rentals and tour packages for this exciting sport.
Now, with this list in hand, get out there and explore autumn and embark upon some crazy new adventures. This magical period is short, but special, so take advantage of these colors while you can. See you out there!